2010 Redfish Tournament Tour At Titusville, Fl.

Saturday, May 1, 2010


Mayday was a beautiful day for the Redfish Tour Tournament held on the Indian River at Titusville.

My wife and I had planned on taking our Maverick flats boat out for a ride on the Mosquito Lagoon, but when I drove by the river, there wasn't a parking space to be found. I had totally forgotten about the Redfish Tour being held today.

Instead I did some work around the house and decided to take a few pics of the happenings on the river.

My video camera was on the blink, so I just compiled a little video of the weigh in and the winning entrant ceremony that was conducted by the Indian River. Hope you enjoy it.



The first place and grand prize winners of a new $30,000 Ranger flats boat rig was Chris Huston and Mike Tucker who won the tournament with two fish totaling 15.27 pounds. I hope they pardon me if I butchered the spelling of their names!

Anyway, after taking all the pictures I needed; my wife and I headed for the north shallows of the Indian River to do some late afternoon fishing.

We found a spot midway down unimproved Shiloh Road and started fishing in earnest. My wife was motivated by seeing all the redfish that were caught and released at the weigh in; and she wanted one for herself.

As luck would have it, she got her wish. Fifteen minutes after we parked the truck, she caught a nice slot sized redfish on her standby Cajun Thunder rig, with a shrimp bait.




I took some pics and we released the fish to fight another day.

The wind was really picking up and the water was getting rougher. I was throwing Creme paddle tail lures, a white jig head with a 4" gulp and a D.O.A. CAL bait with little success.

I picked up two slot sized trout walking the shoreline and the action simply stopped dead.

I tried several lures in my tackle box and finally settled on a small Bagly hammered gold spoon.

That did the trick! In an hour and a half, I picked up five trout between 15 and 20 inches, and missed at least 3 more.

The fishing slowed down as the the wind continued to pick up and both Elmo (our wonder dog), and I were tired. Karen had finally also had enough for one day, so we packed up and left the preserve before dusk.

All in all it was another great day on the Indian River, even if we didn't get to run the Maverick.

Till next time, Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: