Sea Robins? What Next?

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Peacocks Pocket Road is still closed this weekend; probably due to the shuttle launch on Friday. So, the Indian River was the target for Saturday's fishing excursion.

The unimproved Shiloh Marsh Road was loaded with fishermen and women, who were mostly just enjoying the beautiful weather.



Several had their rods in pvc rod holders out in the river and were watching them in their lawn chairs, also out in the river.

With 85 degree temps, why not?

My wife and I hoped to replicate Friday's trip with another redfish or two, but unfortunately the redfish didn't see it our way.

For a change I decided to primarily use dead shrimp for bait, instead of the usual array of lures I normally chuck to the fish. But, the redfish I was hoping to take home for dinner weren't the least bit interested in eating today. I'm sure they probably knew I was going to eat one of them if they were foolish enough to get caught. Who knows?

I used two rods with popping bobbers over dead shrimp in very shallow water, and only managed to catch two nice sized stingrays, two catfish, and believe it or not, a Sea Robin!

I caught the Sea Robin on a small 2" Bagly Hammered spoon in only a foot of water. (See the pics)



My wife Karen, didn't do any better. She had two hits from what she thought were redfish, but because of the wind, couldn't set the hooks properly.

As dusk arrived on the river, we took our leave towards the "gumball", as my wife calls it; and stopped to talk to one of the regulars who fish the area.



He and his son the previous day were trying to catch a bull shark that was in the same area he was fishing this evening. I asked him if he caught the shark yet, and he told me he could never get it to hit his mullet.

He said his son outfished him with two black "puppy drum" that he caught; both on dead shrimp.

We wished him good luck, and left the area hoping for a better day tomorrow.

Until then, Tight Lines!

2 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!:

Bruce R. said...

Sea Robins are northern fish, what are they doing down here?

John Neila said...

Sea Robins are relatives of the Flying Gurnard which inhabit warm waters from Hawaii to Japan.

They prefer shallow waters and sandy bottoms where they "walk" along the bottom with their large pectoral fins looking for crustaceans and anything else they can fit into their large mouths.

Check out the video posted May 22, 2010.

Tight Lines!