Haulover Canal Bridge Closure

Sunday, May 23, 2010

The drawbridge at Haulover Canal has been closed over the weekend for vehicle traffic, much to the dismay of many anglers, including myself, who forgot about it and had to go the long route via US 1 .

Although I had intended to float my Maverick flats boat this weekend, it was not meant to be.

Instead my wife and I, and of course our wonder dog Elmo, fished one of her favorite spots on the northern Indian River.



We tried several locations on the Mosquito Lagoon, but the water was extremely shallow and crystal clear in the areas we visited, and the fish didn't seem interested in anything we offered.

Going down Shiloh Marsh Road from US 1 seemed the best path to take, so we took it.

Several boats were fishing live mullet in very shallow water that was only a couple of feet deep and seemed to be having a good time, but no fish.

I have to say that I cast my heart out and only caught two awfully dumb trout that didn't even quality to get their pictures taken for this site.

My wife on the other hand, using dead shrimp for bait under her favorite bobber, did better with the trout. See pics.


She caught a couple of sea trout over the slot limit and missed several others, not counting a couple of stingrays and a blue crab that she caught.

My wife has a tendency to catch weird things other than fish.

Last year she hooked a loggerhead turtle that had to be at least 250 pounds in the Mosquito Lagoon ICW, north of the clinker islands. And last week, she managed to hook a snail along with her nice redfish.

I fished soft paddle tail baits, a gold Bagley spoon for a short time, skitter walks, CAL jerkbaits, and even a Chug Bug with only a couple of strikes.

The redfish were cruising the shoreline in very shallow water after bait fish, but were super spooky for some reason, and were not biting.

The fish just didn't like me this weekend! Must have been my B.O. or something.

Well, we did enjoy the weather and the beautiful sunset.



Anyway, next week should be better with a three day weekend coming up.

Till then, Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: