Sea Robin or Flying Gurnard?

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Bruce R. brought up the subject of Sea Robins, so I thought I'd add a little bit more to my reply to his comment.



Flying Gurnards are distributed from Hawaii and Japan southward to central Polynesia,westward through Micronesia and Melanesia, through the East Indies, and across the Indian Ocean to the coast of Africa.

They all have elongated, nearly round bodies that taper to the tail with large bony "armored" heads. The body of the fish is covered with tough scales that are rather prickly, and they all have two large hook-like spurs near the gills with enormous fan-like pectoral fins.

The two pelvic fins that are far forward under the body, are used as "legs" to walk on the ocean bottom.

They are carnivorous bottom dwellers eating inverts, crustaceans, and other smaller fishes.

My wife and I used to sell small specimens in our tropical fish shop that we used to own in Titusville, Fl.

They were extremely popular, easy to keep if you maintained a large tank, and are definitely one of the more interesting marine fish.

I heard that the redfish in the Tiger Shoals area in the Mosquito Lagoon are kicking up a storm, so I hope to take out the boat and pick up a few. The clinker islands from markers 25 to 27 and eastward will be the main target for the day.

Till next time, Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: