The Sea Trout Are Biting!

Sunday, April 25, 2010

The sea trout in the Indian River Lagoon are biting with a vengeance if you present them the right imitation.

Shiloh Road this Saturday afternoon was as windy as some of our Congressional members, and the water was just rough enough to make it hard to detect a bite.

My wife, our wonder dog Elmo, and yours truly hit the shallows in the northernmost part of the Indian River.

The area we normally frequent around Peacocks Pocket, was again closed off for reasons known only to NASA and God. I personally believe they are too lazy or overpaid to bother opening up the gates after the space shuttle lands.

Anyway, for the first hour or so we didn't have much luck. The shrimp my wife was using produced a nice sized catfish which we promptly released, and a nice hit by a trout that she missed.

I was using my favorite top water baits and quickly changed over to Creme swim baits.


I had a couple of half hearted hits on the top water, but after a couple hundred casts I was getting worn out!

We stopped at a place my wife is particularly fond of and after several casts with a green colored Creme bait, I hooked and released a couple of scrappy slot sized trout.

There were tons of horseshoe crabs doing their breeding thing and I managed to inadvertently hook several of them.



On one cast, I hooked into a nice 20" sea trout right at shore, and several casts later, hooked and landed it's 19" relative. Since we didn't get a chance to hit the store, we kept the two for dinner.



After an hour or so, the bite slowed down and we both got tired of fighting the wind so we headed to the hacienda.

I was hoping for a small tarpon or large redfish, but tomorrow's another day.

Till next time, Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: