Windy Weekend On The Indian River Lagoon

Sunday, May 2, 2010

It's been a windy weekend on the Indian River Lagoon.

Yesterday's Redfish Tournament turned out great despite the windy conditions, and our personal outing turned out just fine even though I didn't score a redfish.

Today was a mirror of yesterday's weather. The northern Indian River Lagoon was windy all afternoon even until dusk.

My wife, our wonder dog Elmo and I went to the Mosquito Lagoon but the wind discouraged any interest in bank fishing.

We hit our "honey holes" along Shiloh Road and didn't fare too well there either.

Our last stop, where I caught some decent trout yesterday, proved fruitful for me but not for my wife.

Karen, missed several fish on dead bait and finally landed a small trout and a nice sized stingray.

I tried soft plastic baits and drew a blank until I switched to a 2" Bagley Hammered Gold spoon.

I walked the bank of the Indian River and peppered a fifty yard stretch with the spoon until I finally hooked up to a decent slot redfish, that was loaded with spots, and would have been a keeper for yesterday's tournament.



The fish put up a great fight on my 10# Cajun line. After four nice runs, I finally pulled her out of the water for a few pics.

I thought about cooking her up for dinner, but released her instead to fight another day. I'll settle for the leftover chicken in the frig!



After Karen took the pics, we both were tired of fighting the wind and decided to head for the hacienda.

Till next time, Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: