Peacocks Pocket Fishing

Friday, May 3, 2019

This afternoon Karen wanted to take Elmo and Odie for a ride around the "swamp", so we packed up a couple of rods, some water for the dogs, and headed to East Gator Creek to see what was happening.

We stopped to get a couple of ice cream cones and then drove across the bridge to the refuge.

The first entrance to Gator Creek had a barricade across the entrance, but East Gator Creek was open. We drove around the area as we ate our cones and didn't bother wetting a line.

Nobody was in the area, so I figured the first entrance was closed because of the Space X Launch scheduled for tomorrow morning.

As we left the area, I decided to see if Peacocks Pocket Road was open and, after a short drive discovered that it was.

It had been raining and the road was puddled but I drove slowly towards the kayak launch. At the first bend we jumped a doe whitetail deer. She ran a few yards up the road and stood staring at us. I was getting my cell phone ready to take a pic but she disappeared into the brush before I could open the camera app.

When we got to the kayak launch I was surprised that we were the only people in the area.


I parked and picked up a rod to start casting the area.

I was using a Chug Bug and Karen picked up the rod with the Slim Dog bait and started casting it around the launching area.  The water was to choppy to properly "walk the dog" so she eventually started working the marsh canal, below.



I walked past the barrier and started making long casts with the Chug Bug that I had smeared up with Pro-Cure.

After a short time I picked up an under size  sea trout that nailed the bait.  I took  a quick pic and released the fish.


We fished the marsh canal and the pond for about 20 minutes and although I had a couple more fish bust on the Chug Bug, I never got another hookup.

Karen had a couple of hits on the Slim Dog with the same results and as the mosquitoes started hitting us, we both agreed to head for the house and some dinner.

On the way back, we spotted a gaggle of black vultures along the road doing what vultures do.


It was unusual seeing that many in one area, so we thought they were feeding on something quite large; possibly a pig or even a deer.

I wasn't about to drive back to find out but a couple of other cars behind us did.

Anyway, we had a nice trip, didn't get skunked, and enjoyed the afternoon with Elmo and Odie.

Till next time,
Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: