Memorial Day Bio Lab Road Scouting Trip

Monday, May 27, 2019

Karen and I waited until 5:30 pm this afternoon before deciding on a Bio Lab Road scouting trip.

Every time I picked up my truck keys, Elmo and Odie started going crazy so we decided to take them for a ride before my ear drums gave out.

The air temperature was 93 degrees and there was very little to no wind over the water in the Mosquito Lagoon when we got to the entrance of  Bio Lab Road.

Near the boat launch, the water clarity left a lot to be desired; but as we drove closer to the Whale Tail flats, the water started to clean up quite a bit making sight fishing possible.



I stopped at a couple of spots to cast a Johnson weedless spoon and a small size topwater Chug Bug around some bait pods, but I never got a hit but Elmo and Odie didn't care much.

They both had a ball at every stop enjoying the day.


At one spot around some old submerged pilings, I spotted a large sea trout busting on some fingerling mullet and about 100 yards farther down the road, I saw a snook holding close to the mangrove roots.

I tossed a bait at both fish with no results.

With the weather this hot this early, I really didn't expect a bite.

We left Bio Lab Road and headed to Titusville, but I decided to check out Peacocks Pocket road to see if anybody was at the kayak launch.

Because it was Memorial Day, I expected to see a lot of fishermen on the water along Bio Lab and Peacocks Pocket, but we passed three groups on Bio Lab and only one person leaving the Pocket road as we were entering it.


When we got to the barrier, I parked and started casting the gold spoon around the marsh canal but  I never got a hit on the spoon.

Karen was using the other rod with the Chug Bug on the Indian River side, so I pulled the other spinning rod with an XPS Slim Dog and started casting the plug into the canal.

On the second cast, a large ladyfish busted on the bait, made one jump and spit the hooks.

I made another cast into the same area but a large gator decided to make my live miserable by following every cast.



After two more casts without a hit, I gave up the spot to the gator.  It was in the 8' to 9' category and I didn't feel like messing with it.

Karen wasn't having any luck on the river side, so we decided to head for the house and some dinner.

On the way back to the bridge, the banks of the Indian River were still packed with people enjoying the long Memorial Day weekend.

Till next time,
Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: