Redfish In The Creeks

Saturday, December 29, 2018

The redfish in the creeks in the northernmost part of the Indian River have been a hit or miss proposition lately, so I decided to use up the last few live shrimp that Karen and I didn't get to use the other day.

I normally prefer fishing topwater baits but the conditions this afternoon were more appropriate for live bait fishing.

The air temperature was 86 degrees and there was only a slight breeze over the water in the area where I planned to fish.

Regardless, I just had to toss a Chug Bug and even a Creme spoiler shad around a bit before settling down to fishing with the shrimp.

The creek I stopped to fish had no sign of activity.  The water was shallow and the dark bottom was mostly muddy.


I tossed one bait out on the bottom just short of the opposite bank and the second up the creek under a float with a single split shot to keep the shrimp on the bottom.

I popped the float several times to ring the dinner bell to any fish in the vicinity and set the reel on bait runner on the ground.

It only took a few minutes for a small redfish to pull the bobber up the creek.  I set the hook and after a brief fight landed and released the fish.


At least I didn't get the skunk like I did the other day.  Anyway, I took a quick pick and repeated the process.

This time it took a little longer before another small redfish inhaled the shrimp.

This time I brought my cell phone and took a couple of pics of the action.



After the second fish, I spent almost an hour waiting for another bite but nothing was happening.  I was hot, sweaty, and the insects were getting annoying so I decided to pack it in and head to the house for an early dinner.

As I got close to the main road, I spotted this lone duck enjoying the day.  Just had to get a clip of it.


On the way back I stopped at Haulover to check out the action.  There were several fishermen on both sides of the canal and a few boats targeting the two holes at the entrances, presumably after the big bull reds that they have been catching there.


I took a couple of pics before getting my dinner.

Till next time,
Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: