Skunked Again

Monday, December 17, 2018

Well, I went out to wet a line this afternoon and got skunked again.


I didn't hit the water until about 3:30 pm and the conditions were about the same as yesterday.  The air temperature was cooler, about 56 degrees, but there was no wind and the sky was clear.  A beautiful winter's day made for fishing and bird watching.

This afternoon I decided to try fishing Shiloh Road off of US 1.  I hadn't been there in about a month and was hoping that fish were in the shallows of the creeks in that area.

When I got to the first culverts, I noticed that the water was up on the Indian River side of the road as well as the north side.  The culverts were closed so no water was flowing.


I parked off the unimproved road and watched both sides to see if there were any sign of fish in the area before breaking out my rods.

After abut five minutes, I spotted some activity on the River side of the road so I started fishing very slowly with a Chug Bug in the "baby bass" pattern.

After several casts, I had a small fish follow the bait but no hits.  

I switched to another rod I bought last month at Bass Pro in Mobile, Al. that was loaded with 10 pound premium mono and a 3" Creme Spoiler Shad swimming bait and started slowly hopping it off the bottom.

I had one light tap but no other hits all the time I fished the area.  The fish just not hitting.

I moved up the road towards the barrier and pulled off to fish the shallow creek that runs along the road.  I was hoping that there would be some redfish cruising the creek in search of baitfish.




The water in this area is generally warmer in the winter and attracts reds, snook and sea trout.

Although I spotted two small pods of redfish pushing wakes up and down the creek, I never got another hit.

Close to dusk, it started to get colder so I packed up my rods and called Lil Ceasers for a fresh hot and ready to pick up for dinner.

On the way back, I drove through the refuge over Haulover Canal.  There were no boats in the canal but there were still a couple of groups of bank fishermen after black drum and oversize reds.

The bird watching, the scenery, and the sunset this afternoon was great but the fishing left a lot to be desired.  



I guess that's why they call it fishing, not catching.

Till next time,
Tight Lines.



0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: