Super Blood Moon Fishing

Sunday, January 20, 2019

As I expected, the fishing prior to the super blood moon today hasn't been that great.

Today was the first time I had a chance to get out and at least try to wet a line, but the cold, windy conditions made artificial lure presentations almost impossible and the so called "Super Blood Wolf Moon" and total eclipse we will have this evening through the wee hours of tomorrow morning has not been conducive to good fishing.

I took Elmo and Odie with me to check out Haulover Canal, the Bio Lab boat launch, and an area just north of Haulover where I have caught redfish in the past on the shallow muddy flats during cold weather.

There were a few hardy fishermen along the banks of Haulover Canal but nobody seemed to be catching anything.  A couple of boats were at the mouth fishing for redfish (I presume) but other than that the area was pretty devoid of anglers.

I stopped at two spots to fish but never got a hit or a follow on the topwater Chug Bug or the gold Johnson Sprite spoon that I was tossing around.

The wind on the flat I intended to fish on the Indian River north of Haulover was coming in so strong that I didn't even bother to break out my rods.



There was a gaggle of birds honkering down for the night on a bar that I took a short video of before leaving the area.


The air temperature was 50 degrees F. and dropping when we finally decided to head home.  If the cold front continues for a few days, the big gator trout should be moving into their winter haunts along the deeper docks and dark bottom shallow flats during the late morning hours.

Hopefully, before my vacations is over I can get in some decent fishing for these guys.

Till next time,
Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: