The Fishing Piers Are Open

Friday, December 28, 2018

On the way back from wetting a line in Gator Creek, I drove underneath the A. Max Brewer bridge and was happy to see that the fishing piers were finally open.


I stopped just long enough to take a couple of pics of the area to post here.




I was glad to see that they poured asphalt next to the sea wall on the south side of the bridge.  That area always managed to wash out with the weather, hopefully the upgrade will last a bit longer.



The fishing this afternoon wasn't great but I didn't get skunked.

When I left the house around 3:20 pm the air temperature was in the mid 70s and there was a moderate wind blowing across the water from the South.

The rods I had in my truck all had either topwater Chug Bugs, XPS Slim Dogs, or Creme paddletail baits.

I had a bucket of live shrimp on the porch that Karen and I picked up the other day, but I decided to leave them until tomorrow.

It was late and I didn't particularly want to fool around with live bait this afternoon.

I alternately tossed a baby bass pattern Chug Bug and an XPS Slim Dog around the shallow flats for awhile with no followups.  The water in the area was crystal clear and I spotted only one trout in that area.

I moved on towards the entrance to Catfish Creek Loop, knowing that it was still closed, and hoped to fish the shallow pond on the way.

Unfortunately there were two groups of anglers fishing with live baits in the area.

As I drove up to the barriers, two more groups of anglers were loading up a shallow boat into their vehicle so I turned around and started to head out.

On the way out, I spotted a fish break the surface so I stopped to give it a shot.

The second cast got a half hearted strike and two casts later I picked up a very small sea trout.

At least I didn't get skunked!

I released the fish without even bothering to take a pic of the undersize fish and decided to head home.


I got a shot of the Indian River on the way out along with the pics of the fishing piers above.

Till next time
Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: