Weekend Fishing Blues

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Didn't get a chance to any fishing until late Saturday afternoon and then only for a couple of hours.

The weather was great but the fish weren't cooperating worth a hoot.

I planned to fish artificials but stopped by the local bait shop and picked up some fresh dead shrimp to use as a backup.

The guy at the bait shop said that a couple of guys fishing Playalinda Beach came in with a report of catching several Spanish mackerel, a couple of Pompano and a "ton" of blues.  He said nobody had given a good report on catching redfish.

Since Peacocks Pocket road is closed for the season and I didn't want to stay away from the house too long to hit the beach, I drove through East Gator Creek road and around Catfish Creek loop to see if anything was going on.

At the barrier to Peacocks Pocket road, I spotted a small school of black drum but they were well out of casting range.  I wasted about a half an hour hoping for a bit on some dead shrimp but nothing was taking.

I continued down Catfish Creek loop and fished several likely looking areas with no success.

I finally stopped at a small pond where a couple of guys last week caught some reds.  I flipped out three baits and started casting a small Creme paddle tail swimbait around.

After about an hour, an old fishing friend of mine drove up and we chatted a bit about the fishing and an accident he recently had in Orlando. 

He was rear ended, sandwiched between a bus and was lucky to still be with us. 

He took a video of me landing a redfish last year in an area where he had been catching some black drum, but this afternoon he was having no luck.  

We parted ways and after about another 15 minutes or so I decided to pack it in and head home to see how my wife was feeling.

She is still recuperating from surgery but doing much better than she was.

I took some pics of the awesome sunset as I was leaving the refuge. 



Hope you enjoy.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: