A Lazy Sunday Night Sport Shrimping

Sunday, December 29, 2013

It was a lazy night sport shrimping on the Indian River this evening.

I didn't get a chance to wet a line this weekend and by this evening I was eager to get out of the house and hit the river.

I left the house around 7:30 pm armed with a small spinning rod rigged with an imitation shrimp.

Fifteen minutes later I was on the first fishing pier checking out what the sport shrimpers were catching this evening.

It had been raining all day long and it stopped shortly before I got to the fishing piers.  The air temperature was a pleasant 72 degrees and there was no wind on the water as you can see by the video below.

The lower fishing pier had a few shrimpers and no fishermen on it but the upper pier was more crowded at the shallow end.


I talked to a few shrimpers and to a man they all reported a slow evening.  Several had a few shrimp in their buckets but nobody was limiting out this evening.

The guys said they were averaging a couple of shrimp every ten minutes or so.  For this area it was a pitiful evening.

When I got to the piers an entertainer was singing away on the pavilion and despite the slow shrimping activity, everyone seemed to be having a great time.

I pitched my artificial bait at several sea trout that were hovering over the lights and caught two dinky trout before deciding to give it up.

When the small sea trout are schooling like they were tonight, you can be sure there are no big ones in the area.

I took several shots of the "inaction" and when it started to rain again, I decided to head for home rather than taking a chance of getting the flu, or worse.

Anyway, it was good to get out in the fresh air and enjoy the company of some of the locals.

Till next time,

Tight Lines.



0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: