Sport Shrimping Post Thanksgiving Day

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Sport shrimping on the Indian River this evening was pretty much only for the hardier types.

Thanksgiving Day is usually when sport shrimping picks up in this area.  At least in previous years that was the trend.

This evening was the first time in quite a while that I bothered visiting the two fishing piers on the river.

It was around 8:30 pm when I drove down to the bridge and it was extremely foggy.  The air temperature was 65 degrees, there was a fine misty rain falling and there was the usual breeze blowing over the Indian River.  Perfect pneumonia weather!

The band that was playing at the Pavilion earlier had already gone home and there were only a few vehicles in the parking areas.

The lower fishing pier was somewhat crowded, but the upper pier had only three people shrimping this evening.

Lower Fishing Pier
Upper Fishing Pier










 I talked to several people who were shrimping on the lower pier and most of the shrimpers had only a few medium size shrimp in their nets.  Nobody had a 5 gallon bucket limit.

I took a few pics of the area and proceeded to the upper fishing pier to see if they were doing any better.

The first guy I spoke with (below) was a "snow bird" who told me the shrimp were not running this evening.  Despite his report, I noted that he and his buddy had at least a couple dozen shrimp in their nets.


The folks shrimping next to him had done better.  They had at least two dozen shrimp each and were still netting them up as I was preparing to head for the comfort of the hacienda.

 




I took a few more pics before leaving and on the way home noted that the air temperature had dropped a couple of degrees.  Definitely a front moving in.

Perhaps that's why the sport shrimping this evening wasn't up to par.

In any event, I'll try to hit the area again in a few days for another report.

Till then,

Tight Lines and Heavy Nets.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: