Skunked By A Cold Front

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Well I got skunked by a cold front this afternoon.

I should have known that it was going to be a bad day "catching" when the waterfowl in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge were facing in the same direction.

Anyway, today was the first day all week that I got a chance to wet a line.

I left the house at 1:30 pm and was on the water 15 minutes later.

Since Peacocks Pocket road is closed to vehicle traffic until April of next year, I headed to a couple of spots on Catfish Creek Loop where I intended to dunk some fresh dead baits.

I immediately put out four rods with shrimp, cut clam and chunked ladyfish.


After fifteen minutes with no action, I started casting a gold Johnson's Sprite to see if I could stir up a follow or a fish.

This also didn't produce any action, so I started tossing a Chug Bug, a Zara Spook Jr. and several types of plastic baits.

After an hour I still had no bites but I decided to stick it out despite the lack of action.

I watched as these guys motored into the shallow cove from the boat launch but after spying on them for another half hour or so, I realized that they too were not getting any action.


They were casting the shoreline with something I couldn't make out.

I pulled out my trusty Samsung 18x camera and started taking pictures of the scenery and the waterfowl.


 

 

As I was putting the camera away, a Sheriff came by and we talked about the lousy fishing.

He told me that I was the only guy he saw fishing this area and on the main causeway nobody seemed to be catching anything.  He too attributed the bad fishing to the upcoming cold front.

After two hours very slowly rolled by, I decided to admit defeat and call it a day.

I pulled in my baits, packed up my rods and headed home.

On the way out I passed several fishermen enjoying the day but not catching any fish.

I decided to take East Gator Creek out of the refuge to see if I could spot and fish there but the shallow area was a dead calm with nothing moving around that I could see.


When I hit the main causeway, I called my sister in Allentown to wish her a happy birthday and whine about being skunked by a cold front.

Until next time,

Tight Lines. 



0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: