Some Shrimping Action On The Indian River

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

I decided to hit the pier this evening to see if anyone was getting any shrimping action on the Indian River.

As is my habit, I took along a light action spinning rod tipped with a shrimp imitation to see if I could pick up a sea trout or two.

The fishing piers were relatively uninhabited this evening so I took my rod and my trusty Samsung WB150F camera and headed for the lower pier.

The people close to the sea wall were netting shrimp but they were all medium sized, not the jumbos

that are expected in this area.

There were several schools of under slot sized sea trout chasing shrimp, so I took a short video of the action.

The shrimp that made it past the sea trout were being netted by the guys on the pier.  But from what I saw this evening, the sea trout were winning.

I took a few shots and met up with Glen Best, a fellow fisherman friend who also goes sport shrimping on a regular basis.  That's him to the left.

It turned out that a couple of weeks ago, Glen and his friend were the guys who I briefly spoke with in Catfish Creek Loop.

They were sitting in their truck waiting out the rain when I passed them, and had just doubled up on redfish in the marsh area. 

I stopped and shot the breeze with him a bit about the fishing in the area and how the shrimp were running.

While we were talking, I started pitching the shrimp imitation at some of the sea trout to see if I could pick up a legal size fish.

The more we talked, the more fish I caught.  Unfortunately they were all under the slot.

I took these videos of the fish and the picture of Glen that I promised to put on my site.


I continued catching fish and could have gone all night long, but after an hour or so I decided to head for the house.

I was working all day on remodeling my wife's bathroom and I was dog tired.

It was about 10:45 pm when I left the fishing pier and I was home by eleven.

As I was leaving the pier, I took some shots of the evening's catch.

 


If I finish getting the bathroom prepped and painted tomorrow, I might hit the beach and try for some Spanish mackerel or blues.

Till next time,

Tight Lines.


0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: