Peacocks Pocket Road Is Open

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Finally, Peacocks Pocket Road is open to vehicle traffic.

My wife and I took a break this afternoon to drive around Catfish Creek loop and much to our surprise we found the barrier to Peacocks Pocket Road down.

Although we weren't prepared to do any serious fishing, we took the road to take pics of the wildlife that was out in numbers this afternoon.





The temperature was in the mid 70s and there was a slight breeze blowing in the refuge.

The alligators and birds were out in numbers and there was an abundance of vehicle traffic in the area.

In several spots it looked like Grand Central Station.  We saw several trucks carrying kayaks and canoes, and there were several fishermen wading the Indian River casting top water plugs for sea trout.

I briefly talked to a buddy who fishes the area almost as much as I do and he said that the road was open yesterday.

He said he caught a slot redfish on a live shrimp in an area my wife and I named "snook point", but today he was fishless.

The other fishermen we saw along the road didn't seem to be having much luck either.

I stopped at a couple of spots where I usually catch sea trout but today the fish weren't interested in my spoon.

Karen and I counted at least a dozen alligators sunning themselves on the bank and a couple more in the water,.  Makes you wonder about wading!


Anyway, after taking some pics of the beautiful Rosette spoonbills, gators, and herons; we headed home to finish working on our pool.

I finally decided to convert our swimming pool into a garden Koi pond and tapping into the water supply from our shallow well was on the agenda.

Next week if I don't get my Maverick flats boat back from Float On trailers, I'll probably be targeting Peacocks Pocket road with my wife, Elmo and Odie.

Till next time,
Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: