Wading The Indian River

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Wading the Indian River is one of the best ways to catch fish almost any time of the year and this afternoon was no exception.

I didn't bother fishing today until I mowed the lawn and took care of some things around the house,  By then, it was almost 4:00 pm but I decided to take a ride around Catfish Creek loop to see if anything was happening anyway.

I packed up a few rods and netted four or five mud minnows before heading to Catfish Creek.

I stopped at a small pond before the turn and picked up a small sea trout on a gold hammered spoon but no redfish, so I drove on to the road closure where I found Byron bank fishing.

I didn't want to infringe on his area so after asking him how he was doing, I moved down the road.

Byron was fishing shrimp and hadn't had any bites all the time he was in the area.

A few yards down the road was another regular who I briefly spoke with and he said he also didn't have any luck.  He was fishing shrimp and live finger mullet.

Opposite where he was fishing, I noticed four fishermen wading in the river blind casting artificial lures and wondered if they were having any better luck than the guys fishing the bank.

I moved on down the road and stopped to fish a swirl I spotted in the marsh.  After several casts with the spoon without a hook up, I put my rod back into the truck and started to move again.

As I was starting the truck I saw the guys who were wading the river walking down the road with their catch followed by two cars.

I asked them their names and what they used to catch the fish on.

Nick and Andrew said they caught the fish on 1/4 oz. and 1/2 oz. gold Johnson Sprite spoons.

I asked them if they minded me taking their pics and posting them on this site and they readily agreed.

Here are some of the pics of their catch that I took.

 
I moved on down Catfish Creek loop and pitched out a couple of mud minnows on my casting rods and started casting my gold Johnson Sprite.

Fishing from the bank severely limits your opportunities even with live bait, but I didn't  feel like getting wet, especially heading towards dusk with the temperature dropping .

As I was fishing another pair of fishermen donned in waders stopped to fish and asked me if I had any luck.

I briefly exchanged information about the other waders and they promptly started fishing the shallows in the Indian River.

Another couple of guys were in a canoe doing the same but they didn't seem to be having any luck.

It was heading towards 5:00 pm and since nothing was happening, I decided to pack it in and head for home.

Wading the Indian River and the Mosquito Lagoon shallows is an extremely productive way to fish, even from a flats boat.

I have seen a lot of fishermen  putting down their Power Pole and wading an area for sea trout or reds, especially during the summer.

Wading and fishing from a low profile platform gives you the ability to see the fish before they see you and spook.

The pictures of Nick and Andrew's fish caught today wading the Indian River are "proof of the pudding".  Way to go guys!

Till next time,  Tight Lines.

2 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!:

Brandyn M said...

Are the mornings any good out there? I haven't tried doing that yet.

John Neila said...

I have never tried wading in that particular area but around Peacocks Pocket by the culverts and north of that area I have done quite well with big sea trout, redfish and black drum.

Gold spoons are the ticket for bigger fish but jerkbaits get more hits.