Super Bowl Sunday Fishing

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Superbowl Sunday fishing this afternoon was almost spiritual.

Evidently everyone was home watching the pre-game activities because I only saw one other angler fishing Peacocks Pocket road.

There were a few sight seers watching the gators and waterfowl, but except for very few cars, I had the wildlife refuge virtually to myself.

   

The temperature was in the low 60s when I started fishing and it went down to the high 50s when I finally left for home.

The water was flat with almost no wind to break up the glassy surface.  This made for some difficult fishing.

I took four spinning rods along this afternoon and decided to fish only soft paddle tail baits for sea trout.

As I proceeded down Peacocks Pocket road I "jump fished" and stopped to cast in at least a dozen locations.

Except for a few small sea trout and one small redfish, I can't brag about having a stellar day fishing but at least I caught fish.

The cool weather made it necessary to fish the baits super slow this afternoon.

Yesterday when Karen and I fished the area, it was warmer and there were more fishermen and kayakers all over the area.

Although we didn't catch anything, yesterday, I missed a nice redfish and several nice sea trout at around 5:00 pm.

I kept yanking the baits out of their mouths because I was fishing too fast and trying to set the hook quickly.

Today, I slowed down and started hooking fish, but the fish weren't as active or as willing to hit the baits.

As the sun started to dip to the horizon, it started to get really chilly so I opted to head for home.


 Suberbowl Sunday fishing would have been much better if the temperature was a few degrees warmer but all in all it was another great day fishing and birdwatching in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

Till next time,

Tight Lines! 

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: