Boynton Inlet Trip

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Early Saturday morning my wife and I packed up Elmo and Odie and headed for Boynton Inlet.


Our actual destination was Dania, Fl. where I pick up my Koi food in bulk.

We left a little too early so we drove down to Boynton Inlet to see what the fishing was like.

The weather was stellar and lots of people were in the area surfing, sunning and fishing.

We parked next to the Inlet where I took a few pics of the area and some of the fishermen who weren't apparently doing so well.

When I used to work in this area, I used to enjoy fishing Boynton Inlet from the pier.

You can catch snapper, grouper, bluefish, snook, sheepshead, blue runners, croaker, shark and even tarpon when in season.

I stopped one afternoon after work armed with only a jig and picked up a couple of big barracuda from the sea wall and lost a big grouper that ended my short fishing trip.

This trip I didn't bring any rods so it was pictures only.

For those of you who have never been down to Boynton Inlet, it's a tough place to take out your boat.

The current rips through the inlet at about 6 knots on a normal day and can cause problems if you aren't used to it.


Local knowledge is necessary to navigate the inlet, especially during inclement weather.  You need to use a full throttle on most days.

On Saturday, the weather was great but the current was still a challenge to some of the smaller vessels trying to get out.  All in all it was perfect for boating and fishing.

Once you get your boat out past the breakers, you can catch sailfish, dolphin, king mackerel, bonita, and farther out swordfish and even an occasional marlin, courtesy of the Gulf stream meandering close to shore.

After taking some pictures, we met up with our supplier to pick up a few cases of Koi food and headed back to Titusville.

Although I planned to get in a little fishing, the trip kicked my butt so Karen and I decided to just "chill".

If I ever get my Maverick back from the Float On manufacturer in Vero Beach, I plan on taking it down to the Boynton Area to do some fishing offshore.

On calm days, I've seen guys in kayaks fish well past the breakers as well as flats boats that head way past the breakers offshore to the Gulf Stream.

If you ever decide to fish Boynton Inlet from the jetty or fishing pier, here are some tips.

Bring a cast net to catch your own bait.  Usually you can beg some if you forget the net but it's better to bring your own.  You can catch mullet, pilchards or sardines from the sea walls.

You can catch snook on the tide change from the South jetty and occasionally on the south side beach using live bait or artificials.  Jigs, DOAs or plugs all work well.

From the same beach area you can also catch blues, large grunts, croakers, spots and occasionally snapper.

From the north jetty you can catch mangroves and snook on the beach side.  You can also catch mackerel in the fall and winter on chartreuse pompano jigs sweetened with a bit of shrimp.  Pompano are also in this area.
  
Certain times of the year you can catch sheephead from the seawalls.  You can usually see them from the walls when they are in the area.

From the South side back seawall at Boynton Inlet, you can catch tarpon, moonfish, snook, mangrove snapper and other smaller fish.

Small pieces of shrimp on small hooks work for the moonfish and fresh caught sardines work for mangrove snapper.

When tarpon are in the area, the locals catch them using large fish heads or live bait.

Next time I make a trip to Boynton Inlet, I plan on bringing along my rods.

Till next time,

Tight Lines. .

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: