Early October Marsh Fishing

Saturday, October 1, 2011

October marsh fishing in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge usually picks up when the weather starts to get cooler.

Because the water levels are above normal for this time of year, the redfish and sea trout are foraging around the weedy islands chasing bait fish into the shallows and up onto the grassy shorelines.

If you can cast a weedless spoon, jerk bait or top water plug into these grassy areas, there is a good chance you will hook up with a nice red or sea trout.

On Saturday afternoon, Karen, Elmo and I decided to fish Gator Creek and run Peacocks Pocket road.

The weather was great. It was a cool 77 degrees but there was a gusty wind blowing that made casting into the marsh areas extremely challenging.

Gator Creek was loaded with finger mullet schools that were being blasted by either redfish or trout.

I tried several artificial lures without any success and Karen didn't even bother baiting up with her go to fresh dead shrimp bait.

We stopped at several likely looking places along the Pocket road, but casting in most of the areas proved to be next to impossible.

We finally stopped at a location where I saw some fish pushing surface wakes.

Karen pitched out a Billy Bay bobber baited with a jumbo shrimp and I started pitching a gold Bagley hammered spoon.

I missed one redfish and had a couple of bumps that were probably small sea trout.

Meanwhile Karen yelled to me that she hooked a redfish.

I picked up the camera and took this short video of her slot fish. It was gut hooked so we decided to take it home for dinner.


Instead of the wind dying down like it usually does in the evening; it continued to make casting difficult.

I couldn't stand being eaten by the mosquitoes any longer and the bite slowed down, so I asked Karen if she had enough for one day.

She was also being bitten up so we packed our gear and made a hasty departure.

The fish were definitely all over the area this afternoon but the conditions made it hard to detect a bite.

I know I missed at least four fish that swirled around my lure but I never felt the hits.

Anyway, till next time.

Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: