Another Beautiful October Sunday Fishing Trip

Sunday, October 2, 2011

After yesterday's windy afternoon fishing trip, Karen decided not to go fishing with me today.

Since I was fishing alone, I decided to try Bio Lab road on the Mosquito Lagoon instead of the marsh area in the Wildlife Refuge.

The weather was great for fishing but there was just enough of a breeze to push the floating sea grasses close to shore around the wading areas I favor off of Bio Lab road.

I tried casting artificial lures in a couple of areas, but the grass I was picking up on every retrieve made fishing a chore instead of fun.

I decided to move on to Peacocks Pocket to see if the fishing conditions were any better than they were yesterday.

The was enough of a breeze to make fishing comfortable and casting easy,  so I decided to fish the exact same areas that I had problems fishing yesterday.

There were only a few people in the area and most were checking out the waterfowl and the alligators.

I started fishing with a gold Bagley spoon and concentrated on the relatively shallow grassy areas where the bait fish were moving around.

My first fish was a barely legal sea trout that clobbered the spoon right at the bank.

The fish made a couple of short runs before I unceremoniously hoisted it to the bank and released it.

I managed to shoot a half baked video of it here.


My next fish was a slot sized red that hit the spoon right in the grass opposite the unimproved road.  It made two nice runs before I got the fish to the bank and released it.


In the next hour and a half, I managed to hook and release three more small sea trout, one more redfish and missed at least that same amount.

The wind started to calm down so I changed over to a black/chrome Zara Spook Jr. surface plug.

I had at least a dozen hits from small trout in a stretch just beyond a place we call  "bobcat bay".

It was getting late and the skeeters were starting to suck my blood so I was seriously thinking about leaving for home.

A friendly guy in a red pick up truck named Erin Reynolds stopped to chat while I was "walking the dog" with my Speckled Trout Heddon® Saltwater Super Zara Spook Jr.

He told me that there weren't many fish on the side I was fishing and that redfish, sea trout and snook were on the river side.

When I asked him if he caught anything, he said he was only out to enjoy the weather this afternoon.

I politely told him about this site and what I had caught in the marsh area today but I don't think he really believed me.  Anyway, it was nice to get someone Else's opinion on where to fish.

After he moved on, I decided to follow him out.

On the way out, I spotted swirls in three other areas.  I had to stop at the last one to make one final cast to a redfish chasing something onto the bank.

The fish spooked when I tossed my plug too close to where it was feeding and when a large alligator started to pay too much attention to my plug I decided to exit the area.



At the culverts near the kayak launch I made a final stop to talk to a family of fishermen who were fishing on the Indian River side of the road.

The guy I spoke with said they had caught some small trout and one nice 30" redfish. 

Believe it or not, his wife caught the red on chicken livers she was using to catch catfish.

I wished them good luck with their fishing and headed for home.

The sunset was beautiful and the day turned out to be another picture perfect one for the books.

Till next time.

Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: