Fishing The Indian River During A Thunderstorm

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Fishing the Indian River during a thunderstorm this afternoon proved to be extremely productive.

The conditions were less than ideal but I decided to take Elmo to the wildlife refuge with me on a little fishing outing.

This afternoon the air temperature was in the 70s and the weather was balmy to say the least.  A brisk wind was blowing over the water making casting a bit difficult.


I decided to fish an area where I saw some redfish activity last weekend.  My wife and I call it "bobcat bay" for reasons known only to us.

Anyway, I stopped at a culvert on the way into the refuge and netted up a half dozen finger mullet, just in case.

I started fishing using a gold Bagley spoon that has been "good" to me lately.  A gold spoon is one of my standby lures and one I favor for locating fish in murky water.

I had several taps from small trout before moving on to where I planned to spend some serious time fishing.

When I got to my "spot"  there were several fish moving around an open culvert chasing finger mullet and small ladyfish.

I spotted a huge wake moving down the marsh canal and made a picture perfect cast directly in the fishes path.

Almost immediately, the fish nailed my spoon but some how managed not to get hooked.

I decided to bait up with a finger mullet on a casting rod I use for big fish.  It's an old Garcia Ambassadeur 6000 C rigged with 60# Moss Green PowerPro® Braided Spectra® Fiber Micro Filament Line, about 8 feet of 30# fluorocarbon leader and a 5/0 Owner circle hook.

I waited several minutes so everything would calm down in the area before casting the mullet to the opposite bank.

It took no more than a minute before a wake aimed for the mullet and exploded under the bait.

This time the fish was hooked solid and took off like a freight train down the canal.  The drag on my reel was cranked down but the fish just kept running.  It was at least 50 yards up the canal before I managed to slow it down and muscle it back towards the culvert where I was standing.

As it swam by, I could see that the redfish was huge.  It was at least three feet long.

It passed by at full speed and went down the canal in the other direction pushing a huge wake.  I fought the fish for at least another five minutes until I finally got it to within a few feet of the bank.

As I scrambled down through the brush to land the fish, it got it's second wind and took off again.  This time it would around a stickup and broke off at the hook.

I could not believe the fish got off with the extra heavy tackle I was using but that's why they call it fishing.

I replaced the fluorocarbon leader with a fresh piece and snelled on another 5/0 hook.

I spent a few minutes fishing the Indian River side blind casting the spoon trying to locate some fish but mostly waiting for the commotion to die down in the marsh canal.

When I saw mullet being chased again in the shallows, I baited up with another mullet and pitched it to a likely looking spot near a weed lined island.

It took about a millisecond before a nice sea trout blasted the mullet and headed down the canal.

This time I didn't muscle the fish.  I played it carefully until it was out of steam.

The fish measured in at a hair over 24 inches and was headed for the dinner table.
All during the time I was fishing, it was raining off and on.  The wind was getting stronger and the thunder was getting closer, so I decided to head for home and clean my fish for dinner.

Fishing the Indian River during a thunderstorm is usually productive and this particular area is almost always great fishing right before and during a thunderstorm.

I won't hope for one but if a storm is around tomorrow afternoon, I'll be on the Indian River fishing.

Till next time,

Tight Lines.

3 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!:

Anonymous said...

John, I always enjoy your great fishing articles and pictures. I've been there fishing few times but haven't had luck yet. Hopefully I find a time to be there soon. Atsushi

John Neila said...

Fish early and late. Drive slowly when in the area and look for fish "signs" such as swirls at the bank, a large wake moving along the shoreline, surface hits, etc.

Net some finger mullet or small ladyfish for bait, hook them in the lips and toss it in front of the wake.

Your luck should change!

Stalk the fish and use stealth tactics.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for good tips. When I'm there, I happen to be with my wife and son who are not big fan of alligators. We like to fish in a Playalinda. I should sneak out early morning by meself.