Another Great Day Fishing The Cold Fronts

Sunday, October 30, 2011

My wife and I had another great day fishing the cold fronts in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

I coaxed my wife to go with me today to fish the marsh around the Indian River for redfish.

She saw how well I did yesterday, so I didn't have to coax her much.  Anyway, we hit some of the same areas I fished yesterday.

The air temperature was again in the low 70s and the wind was blowing just like yesterday.  The only difference was the fact that today the sun was out.

The first stop was again in an area most people drive by without ever bothering to fish.

Karen was using a jumbo fresh dead shrimp with a green clicker bobber and I again chose a gold Bagley diamond spoon with a red tag.

My first cast landed on the head of a medium sized redfish. 

The fish spooked and went towards a small pond, so I walked several yards up the road and started casting the spoon towards the flooded grassy areas where the reds were actively feeding.

It took about 20 casts before I hooked up to a sassy 23" redfish.  The fish put up a surprisingly strong battle before I lipped it, took it's picture and released it.

Karen had a bite but missed the fish.  She was hoping to break her losing streak today but so far, no luck.

We moved to a couple more spots where I caught another fat redfish that could have been a clone to the first one I caught.

This fish headed for a brush stickup at the bank almost immediately after being hooked.

I took off my sneakers and waded out to quickly lip the redfish in the picture below.

There was a gator on the bank but I didn't want to lose my favorite spoon so I took the chance.

 

I figured the air temperature would make the gator slow enough for me to beat him to the bank and I was right.  He only eyeballed me.

I released the fish and after a few minutes we moved again to another location.

Here, Karen broke her "dry spell" with a 24" redfish that hit her dead shrimp in the grass.




I took her picture with the fish (below) and we released it to fight another day.

Another move yielded another beautifully colored redfish on the gold spoon, pictured below.


We decided to hit an area just around the corner from "bobcat bay" were I caught some sea trout yesterday.

It was to be our last stop before heading home and as luck would have it, I caught this trout on the second cast into the area.
Karen, missed another fish in that was literally feeding in the grass and I missed another trout before we decided to pack it in.
 
Like yesterday, we saw a few people driving around the area but only two other people were actively fishing.

For some reason, fishermen in the area don't take advantage of the great fishing that accompanies cold fronts.

 

Anyway, Karen broke her dry spell and it turned out to be another great day fishing the cold fronts on the Indian River.

Till next trip, Tight Lines.

2 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!:

iain said...

Nice looking fish! I also fish from the shore, but I've never thought of fishing the marsh areas. Could you please Google map link to which area you were fishing? Thx!

John Neila said...

Without getting too specific.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=28.611651,-80.761614&spn=0.024263,0.038581&t=h&z=15&vpsrc=6

Near the beginning curve going around brock creek.

The entire area is loaded with reds and sea trout.

You need to drive slowly to spot fish activity and then use stealth fishing tactics to present your baits.

Good luck and Tight Lines.