Friday Before A Cold Front

Friday, September 30, 2011

The Friday before a cold front should be a good time to fish the Mosquito Lagoon and Indian River and today was no exception.

Late this afternoon Karen, Elmo and I packed up our gear and headed for the Indian River.

The weather was beautiful. The temperature was in the low 80s and there was a very slight to almost non-existent breeze that left most of the marsh areas looking like a mirror just before sunset.

Midway through Peacocks Pocket road was the first place we decided to fish.

There were some telltale swirls near a small school of finger mullet that led me to believe that a redfish or sea trout was in the area.

Karen rigged up with a jumbo dead shrimp and an indicator bobber while I opted for a gold Bagley diamond spoon.

My third cast hooked me up with a nice redfish that made the mistake of thinking the spoon was a mullet.

The red fought until it was close to the bank but because there was so much brush on the bank there was no way to physically land the fish.

The fish swam to within a couple of feet from the bank and finally shook the spoon loose. One of my better releases!

Several casts later and a twin to the first redfish hit the spoon and put up a spirited fight until it too shook loose.

Karen had a couple of "maybe" bites but didn't get a hookup. The reds were definitely feeding on bait fish.

I had one other hit on the gold spoon that didn't get a solid hookup before the bite went cold.

Something swam down the marsh canal but we couldn't make out what it was. The short video below will let you make up your own mind.



We tried one other spot were I caught a couple of nice reds the week before but this evening nothing was happening.

As the mosquitoes were starting to get really nasty, Karen suggested we pack up and head for home and I whole heatedly agreed.

I'm hoping to get in some fishing tomorrow, so until then. Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: