OOPS! She Did It Again!

Sunday, November 22, 2009

November has always been a great month for redfish in the shallows, and so far this weekend, nothing has changed to make me believe otherwise.

Late this afternoon my wife and I decided to hit the "swamp" and try our luck for some redfish.  The trout season is closed here until the end of December, so we decided to target the reds.

As usual we got out late, which for me is the best time to dunk a bait!

The spots we normally frequent were occupied by other fishermen, so we hit a tried and true spot Karen loves to fish.


I dropped her off at her favorite spot, and moved down the road about 50 yards with 
Elmo our wonder dog, to try my luck with artificials.

I started chucking a 3" Storm Kickin' Shad,  that a guy at Bass Pro Shop in Savannah said was a killer bait for Sea Trout and Redfish.   I got a couple of half hearted hits, and after about 15 minutes I heard my wife yelling for me to come help her.



I thought she had another redfish on, but as I drove the truck up to where she was fishing; I found her about  halfway into the Indian River, head first, for the second time this year. This past September she went for a swim at about the same spot!.


Karen was trying to retrieve her prescription sunglasses that she had lost in the September 
outing, in exactly the same spot where she fell in last time trying to land her other redfish.

Evidently the bank gave way underneath her when she made a grab for the glasses in the water!

As I was trying to pull her out of  her precarious position; upside down and almost in the river; the drag on her rod started screaming, and a big fish took off for parts unknown. 



Before I could get to the rod, the fish had stripped almost all the line from her spinning reel.

I started pumping the fish to regain some line, while my wife tried to regain her composure and dry off before I passed the rod back to her.  After all it was her fish.

The pictures speak for themselves.  The redfish measured in at an even 36 inches and was the biggest fish that Karen has landed to date.  We didn't have a scale on the Boca Grip, but the fish had to way at least 20 pounds.

The fish are beautiful, and heavy bodied this time of year, and they fight like hell.

After we took some pics and released the redfish to fight another day, we headed home to get my wife a change of clothing and dry out.

I never did get a chance to catch anything, but it was a great afternoon excursion .....

Maybe tomorrow!

Tight lines to all!!

1 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Great blog :D

-Indian River fisherman