September Evening Redfish

Saturday, September 12, 2009

The weather looked like rain, and Fall was in the air. A perfect day to wet a line!

As promised in yesterday's post, my wife and I tried to repeat the success she had with redfish in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

She even got me to try some cut bait, which I seldom use, to snag a redfish like the one she picked up yesterday.

Anyway, I was using my usual Chug Bug, with absolutely NO success. The fish were not interested in top water lures today.



I switched to a Gulp 4" shrimp, on a 1/8 oz. jig head, and picked up a couple of medium sized trout.

I also picked up a few small trout on a white D.O.A. paddle tail swimbait, before I decided to join my wife, sitting on the bank of the Indian River, waiting for a redfish to hit.

Karen picked up a ladyfish, within ten minutes of plopping her shrimp bait, into the far side of the canal.

I decided to stay close to Karen, in case she decided to take another swim, like she did yesterday trying to land another redfish.

For me, it was somewhat boring. I am not very patient at bank fishing for anything. I much prefer using artificial lures.



Anyway, after what seemed like eons, my wife hooked into something big. The fish made several strong runs up and down the bank; and at one point got into some brush along the bank. I thought she would lose the fish, but she kept up the pressure, and finally got it close to shore.

I brought the net this trip, and eventually netted the big redfish. The pictures are here for your viewing pleasure.



This fish was very heavy, and measured in at almost 35 inches. She inhaled the dead shrimp, my wife was using for bait; so I had to cut the hook off, before I released her to fight another day.



I'm pleased to report that the fishing action on the Northern Indian River estuary is still going strong, possibly even better than in previous years.



I hope you all enjoy the pictures, and with any luck, I may have another post for you if we don't get rained out tomorrow.

Till next time; Tight Lines To All!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: