September Spawning Reds

Saturday, September 19, 2009

September is when large "Bull Redfish", in the 20 to 40 lb. range, can be more easily caught as they congregate for the spawn in both the Mosquito Lagoon and northern Indian River estuaries.

There are several prime areas in the north Indian River and Mosquito Lagoon, where these monsters congregate to spawn; however, my all time favorite is the Haulover Canal area, north of Titusville, Fl.

This time of year, a half or whole ladyfish, blue crab, mullet, croaker, or pinfish can pick you up one of those huge redfish that you read about in the sportsman's magazines.

Slot sized reds up to 11 lbs. are also scattered in the shallow flats, busting baits throughout the day.

The trout are still hitting like crazy on the flats on topwater lures, jerkbaits, and live bait if you care to fool with it.

I like my artificial lures.. No muss, no fuss, and sometimes no fish, but it's not boring.

My wife picked up a couple of slot redfish this evening, and I hit a few trout, ladyfish, and a gar that just couldn't resist my chug bug.



Somefish pics and the beautiful sunset are here for your viewing.



I'll be out of town next week but hope to be furnishing something new when I return.

Till then, Tight Lines To All!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: