Haulover Canal Bull Redfishing

Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Bull Redfish in the pics below were caught in Central Florida's Haulover Canal.
The first fish measured over 44 inches in length, and since I had no scale with me, I have no idea of the weight. You be the judge.

It was caught on a Tournament surf rod and Okuma Coronado Saltwater Spinning Reel spooled with 60# power pro braid.

A 5/0 circle hook on 30# florocarbon on a sliding sinker rig finished off the tackle.

I used a 13 inch ladyfish for bait, with the tail cut off to prevent spinning.

I have found that any very large live or fresh dead bait works well in the canal. Live pin fish or croaker are especially good during the heat of summer.

This fish put up about a 30 minute battle on the heavy gear, and provided several good runs (actually more like one extended bulldog run) before giving up.

After reviving and releasing the bruiser, I hooked a clone to this fish on my other surf rod, rigged with 30# tackle and a finger mullet for bait.

That fish put up a slightly longer fight with the same results. The Bull Redfish was totally played out and I had to spend little more time reviving her. I try not to play my fish too long, especially in warmer water.

The porpoises in the canal will quickly pounce on anything injured or remotely acting like a meal.
Summertime in central Florida is great fishing if you know how and when to fish. The flats are great to fish very early in the mornings, however, the bite usually subsides before 10 o'clock.

Evenings are also good fishing until about 10 or 11 o'clock, if you can stand the mosquitos.

I also like mid-day fishing in deeper waters, like the canal, for the really large fish that love the cooler waters of the depths.

The best time to fish is late afternoon, or when the tide in the canal changes.

The best baits, in my opinion are large live pin fish or any really large chunk of dead bait. I favor larger baits for larger fish. I intensely dislike unhooking catfish and rays that attack the small stuff. When I get a bite.....it's usually worth the wait.

Hope my experiences help with your success.

Tight lines to all...

Posted by Picasa

8 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!:

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Floridabassman1 said...

nice reds, i just 'discovered' your blog, and it looks pretty good.

Anonymous said...

Haulover canal --hot spot in 80's where I commercially fished for seatrout catching on avg. 84 lbs a night, also have caught grouper there- largest 8 lb, to all of us who have been fishing this canal for more than 30 yrs, why would you go anywhere else, chart the bottom, find the holes and you will find the fish

John Neila said...

I've got a good friend that fishes the ledges and picks up Grouper that size and larger.

The trick is to keep them from breaking off on the rocks. He uses 60# braid, 50# fluorocarbon leader, and a stout grouper stick with live pinfish or croaker for bait.

todd garner said...

i fish haulover canal all the time.my biggest red there was 63 inch.massive snook and shrimp down there too.i got a bunch of pics on facebook but ont kno how to get them on here.next time you go,try putting one of thoose snakes u see swimmin by on your hook.they love em.

John Neila said...

Been a while since I went shrimping in the canal but the shrimp there are always huge.

I never tried using a "snake" for bait but a half or whole ladyfish on the bottom will just about guarantee you a bull redfish.

Anonymous said...

Where is the best place to get lady fish for bait

John Neila said...

The best baits are the ones you catch yourself.

http://johns-centralflorida-fishing.blogspot.com/2014/09/catching-ladyfish-for-bait-in-culverts.html

If that fails there are plenty of bait shops in Titusville where you can spend your money.

Tight Lines