October Reds

Friday, October 2, 2009

October reds are on the prowl in the north Indian River and Mosquito Lagoon estuaries.

The relatively cooler weather along Florida's Space Coast has spurred some fine fishing for trout and redfish.

My wife, my wonder dog Elmo, and I, fished late Thursday and Friday evenings a couple of hours before sunset, and had pretty good luck with the sea trout and redfish.

My wife picked up a nice red just at dusk, fishing with a dead shrimp offering in a seldom fished canal near what we call the "swamp" area. (See picture below.)



Thursday evening she clobbered an oversize redfish that busted loose after wrapping itself around some brush. That one was well over 30 inches.



I managed to snag slot sized sea trout on Chug Bug topwater lures, Florescent white Creme swim baits, and a PM3 Bomber topwater lure, that I just started using.

I love the top water hits. This evening in particular, the water was near dead calm,, and the trout and redfish just blasted the lures out of the water.

I picked up about 16 trout both evenings, and released them all to fight another day. I probably lost half as many as I caught this evening.

The fishing reports I have received about the Mosquito Lagoon fishing, is as good or better than the Indian River.

Tarpon are still roaming the flats in the Lagoon, and are being caught with DOA Bait Busters, and live bait.

The rising water level of the past few weeks, have the redfish moving and feeding in the areas where previously there were only mud flats.

They will soon be moving into the deeper areas of the Lagoon for their spawning ritual.

Everyone I know has been limiting out on sea trout in the Mosquito Lagoon on a variety of lures and baits. The trout are everywhere and they are hungry!

Hope you enjoy the pics, and with any luck I'll get the boat out tomorrow for some more fishing fun, and another fishing report.

Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: