Fall Fishing In The Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge

Friday, September 4, 2009

Fall fishing in the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge area is great! With the temperatures cooling down a tad bit, the fish are hitting with a bit more regularity.

Jump fishing in the marsh areas has been providing some good results with trout, redfish, and an occasional snook on the Indian River side.

The baits of choice are again the ChugBug, D.O.A. white jigs, and recently small 3" finger mullet, when they can be found.

My wife and I have been getting excellent results lately using free lined mullet, on a 5/0 circle hook, targeting the large redfish and gator trout that cruise the shallow marsh canals.



We have been catching many slot sized, 15" plus trout this past Thursday and Friday evenings that will eagerly chase down a free lined mullet.



Friday evening, my wife lost a huge redfish that popped her line after a respectable fight, and caught several slot sized trout. See the pics.

I picked up about a dozen slot sized trout and several smaller trout on free lined mullet, and my frog colored ChugBug.

I seem to have a problem with patience, and prefer manipulating an artificial lure to fishing live bait.

I missed a nice snook on the river side with my ChugBug last evening, and with the full moon, the Indian River was just gorgeous.



I love breathtaking sunsets, so I'll publish a couple here for you all to enjoy.

Going out this evening, so until tomorrow...

Tight Lines To You All!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: