Veterans Day In Mobile

Sunday, November 11, 2018

Veterans Day in Mobile, Al. was a chilly 63 degrees this afternoon, just the right temperature for redfish in Mobile Bay.

I got tired of listening to the same old Sunday morning talking heads spinning the mid term election results and beating up on Trump, so about 4:30 pm I packed up a couple of rods and headed towards the closest waterway to wet a line.

I stopped at the local tropical fish shop first to see if they had any oddball species in, but except for a few high priced Shovelnose catfish that max out at over 3 feet in length, they had nothing of interest to me.

I picked up an air stone, some fish food, and headed towards the causeway.

I stopped at Battleship Park and took these pics of the area where they placed flags in memory of our fallen heros at the entrance.





I paid my respects and headed to where several fishermen were dunking shrimp along the bank.

The tide was super low and a few boats were fishing for reds along the submerged flats.   I saw two guys in separate boats hookup with fish and land them but I have no idea what they were.

I took a couple of pics and decided to head out to Bass Pro and pickup some hard topwater baits.  I've been using XPS Slim Dogs and since they were on sale, I decided to stock up.

When I got there, I talked myself into buying another Penn Bait runner outfit that they had on sale for my Veterans Day present.   Even got a Veterans discount out of the deal.  Who knew...

It was getting late when I left Bass Pro but I managed to toss around one of the XPS baits on the new outfit near the bridge before Battleship Park.

I made several casts and really didn't expect to catch anything but on the fifth or sixth cast a nice fish boiled under my bait.   

One of the guys fishing the area with shrimp said that the redfish bite was getting hot because of the cold weather moving into the area and that they were hitting shrimp, fresh cut mullet, and top water baits early in the morning and close to dusk.

Although I didn't get another hookup, I kept on fan casting the area for another 15 minutes or so without another hit before I decided to head back to the apartment where I was staying.

I took a few more pics of the area before heading out.



As I crossed the bridge to get back onto I-10,  I just had to get another shot of the Battleship at sunset.


Till next time,
Tight Lines

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: