Playalinda Beach Pompano

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

The Playalinda Beach Pompano run was supposed to be going hot and heavy by this time in November, so even though I got a late start, I decided to head on out to the beach and see what was being caught.

It was around 4:30 pm when I left the house and it wasn't until I stopped at Mosquito Lagoon Bait & Tackle before I realized I forgot to bring along my surf rods.

I picked up several 2 oz. to 5 oz. Sputnik type surf fishing weights and a pack of 2/0 Eagle Claw circle hooks to rig up some Pompano rigs.

I asked Phil about the fishing at Playalinda and was told that the surf fishermen this past week were bringing back coolers full of Pomapano, Whiting, and Bluefish.

The higher numbered lots seemed to be producing the most fish but Phil said he was getting reports of fish caught from almost all areas.

I thanked him for the information and decided to head to the beach and see if I could see for myself.

It was a little after 5:00 pm when I drove past the guard booth and the sky was gloomy to say the least.

The air temperature was 68 degrees F. and there was a moderate breeze blowing when I drove into lot #11.

When I walked up the ramp to the beach, I spotted two lone people on the beach who looked like they were getting ready to leave.



There was absolutely nobody on the beach fishing, anywhere.

It was low tide so I took some pics of the waves so I could tell where the sand bars were if I decided to go fishing tomorrow. There was a nice rip and a double sand bar which showed some potential.


Playalinda Beach closes at 6:00 pm sharp, so I headed back to check out lots #9 and #8 before leaving.


Both of the areas were void of human life and all the areas I stopped at had nice, deep troughs that could hold Pompano.

I made a quick swing around Eddy Creek and took some more pics before being run off by the authorities.


If the weather holds, I plan on fishing the beach at least by Friday of this week.

Till next time,
Tight Lines

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: