Windy Weekend Fishing

Sunday, November 16, 2014

It was a windy weekend fishing but after being on top of a mountain in South Carolina all week, it was still great to get out on the river.

I didn't get to wet a line until late Saturday afternoon and when I finally got out to the wildlife refuge the wind was blowing just enough to make casting a real pain.

I started fishing with Chug Bugs and would up trying jigs, paddletail baits, a Johnson Sprite, and even cut ladyfish as a last resort.

I missed several sea trout before finally landing a couple in the 19 inch category, and nailed a two foot long ladyfish on a Chug Bug that danced all around a small pond before coming to the bank.


I was after redfish but I only saw two in the marsh canal and they were not taking my lures.

Sunday afrternoon, Karen wanted to take Elmo and Odie out to the "swamp" for our weekly dog outing.

We left the house at around 3:00 pm and dropped the first line in the water at around 3:20 pm.

I love where I live!

We were heading to a pond where we sometimes catch reds but I had to stop a couple of times at some likely looking spots to throw a Chug Bug around.

At the first stop on my second cast with a Chug Bug I missed what looked like a nice slot redfish.  The fish nailed the lure about three feet from a submerged grassy island and I made the mistake of trying to set the hooks.

Several casts to the same area resulted in a followup but no more hits so we moved up Peacocks Pocket road to the spot where we originally planned to fish.

When we got there, Odie got out of the car but Elmo wanted to sleep on the seat.  I baited up three rods with cut ladyfish steaks smeared up with some Pro-Cure Saltwater Formula Gel
"for effect".

The air temperature was around 71 degrees and there was a slight breeze on the water.  Perfect for topwater baits but after an hour of casting with no hits, I gave up and watched the cut baits with Karen.

Karen and I both missed two fish before I finally hooked a hard head catfish which I released.

It was almost dusk when I got a nice bite from what I thought was a big sea trout.  When I finally got the fish to the bank it turned out to be the biggest Sailors Choice I ever caught.

The fish was almost a foot long and had teeth like a sheepshead.  Anyway, I took a couple of pics and sent it on its way to piss off some other angler.

  

It was getting dark and we were not getting any more bites so we decided to pack it in and head for the house.


At least we didn't get skunked but I can do without another windy weekend fishing in the refuge.

Till next time,

Tight Lines to you all.

2 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!:

Unknown said...

Hi John, Good to see you made it back to town and had a little getaway. was looking to run in to you this past Saturday but didn't catch you. Me, wife and kids made it down the lagoon early Saturday morning. It was pretty chilly, very little breeze and the area around Peacocks had a few people out. Anyway it was tough deciding what to use on the lines as we found a spot and fished the indian river side just of Peacocks for a bit. There was some activity on the water so i decided to try a Zara Superspook junior while my youngest one was insisting on using some live bait so i threw on a shrimp. I was not producing much on the top water and my little one looked over and said he thinks something was messing with his rod only to miss a set hook on a big pull. I decided to rerig and put two rods out with live shrimp on with the tail off method i recently saw on some videos i was watching. Low and behold the fish were suddenly awaken and I hooked up on something as I watch my line on the horizon on the water raise and I gave him a second and set the hook. At first I thought it was a Red but as he darted out the water and my reel started to sing and the way he was fighting i knew it was a Black Drum. I landed him after about 5 minutes and he was about 21" a good fight. I was able to catch 4 in total all between 18-23" within a space of about 1 1/2 hrs and then it started to slow down so we decided to head back over to the causeway bridge and use the restroom and then head back to where i ran in to you last week. We drove along up the road and I switch lures a few times and used some salt water assassins without luck so I still had some live shrimp in the well so decided to re bait using that. Found a spot going up the shoulder right where we ran in to each other in a grassy area where i noticed a swirl and it just looked fishy to me with and saw some very tiny bait fish hopping around. I threw in the swirl and as i was getting close to the bank a trout decided he was hungry for shrimp and ran off with my line. i did not give the poor guy a chance he was so hooked and the wife told me you are not allowed to go home until you get me a slot trout for dinner on the table tonight. With that in mind i knew I had to land it especially when i knew it was a slot. I was able to get him up off the bank and you should have seen the smile on my wifes face as I measured him knowing it was already a keeper. Nothing more than a happy wife :) . anyways we tried a few more spots and called it a day. It was a good outing. Lots of Gators were out on Saturday too which is always a good sight to see some of the beautiful wildlife that many people have learned to appreciate. Till then, Hope you and Karen are keeping well. Take care,
Faizal

John Neila said...

Glad to see you catching fish Fizal. Most of the fishermen I spoke with did not do that well but the drum are biting on shrimp.

Tight Lines.