Peacocks Pocket Road Is Closed

Saturday, November 29, 2014

As you can see by the signs below, Peacocks Pocket Road is closed again for the waterfowl hunting season until February 15th .

 

The annual closure that began several years ago is an aggravation to anglers who like to fish the area during the winter months, but it does have the benefit of easing up on the fishing pressure.

The reds, sea trout and black drum in the wildlife refuge get beat to death during the rest of the year and since I have been fishing the area, I have noticed a declline in the amount of fish and how easy they are to catch.

Catfish Creek Loop is still open to the public and is also a good area for reds, sea trout and especially Black Drum.

The water in the marsh area is up and many areas that are normally above water are now submerged.


When I took Elmo and Odie for a drive through the area today, I stopped to ask several fishermen how they were doing.  Most were just enjoying the weather and only one lady angler said she was catching fish.

When I stopped to talk to her, she told me she caught a couple of barely legal redfish on live shrimp.  She released both fish and was in the process of rigging up a top water plug to try a change of pace.

The area she was fishing holds some nice black drum, and during the spring, sea trout.

I bid her farewell and wished her luck before driving around the rest of the refuge.

Live or fresh dead shrimp is the bait of choice this time of the year for black drum, redfish and sea trout.  Cut baits will still produce but with the cool weather and the beginning of the winter shrimp run, shrimp is definitely the bait of choice.

On my little scouting drive I noticed only one redfish that was pushing a wake in shallow water and since I didn't bring a fishing rod along, I made a mental note of the area and headed back home to rest my back an have another portion of turkey.

Maybe Karen and I will take the "boys" out tomorrow and wet a line.

Till next time,  Tight Lines and don't eat too much turkey.


0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: