Sunday Afternoon At Catfish Creek

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Late Sunday afternoon I decided to hit Catfish Creek to see if the fish were biting.

I left the house at around 3:30 pm and was driving in the refuge 10 minutes later.  As I drove past the second set of culverts, I met up with Ron, a friend of mine who had his canoe in at the first pond.

He hadn't caught anything but said there were some nice oversize reds busting baitfish around the shoreline.  They apparently weren't hitting what Ron was offering.

I left him and drove into Catfish Creek Loop to see who was fishing that area and met up with a couple more anglers who weren't catching anything but catfish.

I tossed a Chug Bug and a gold spoon around several areas but didn't get any takers, so I continued until I met up with Bernice.

Bernice was fishing live shrimp and had picked up a couple of small redfish in a cove that I sometimes fish.  I stopped to talk awhile and while we were talking, another redfish hit on one of her rods.

 

She asked me to grab the rod until she could reel in the Badonk Donk topwater bait she was fishing wtih, so I set the hook and gave her the rod when she was ready.

A short time later she landed this 17" redfish which was promptly released after the pictures were taken.

It was getting late so I moved on up to another shallow cove and started fishing with cut ladyfish steaks.

In about 15 minutes a redfish hit the bait and dropped it just as quickly.  Evidently it felt the rod pressure.

I re-baited and watched as several redfish cruised along the shoreline in the shallow cove.  None were interested in the cut bait, and I was silently kicking my butt for not picking up some live shrimp.

Anyway, I took a brief video of some of the fish that were cruising by and a couple of the sunset as I waited in vain for another bite.


It was getting dark and people were leaving the area.  Bernice drove by and said she had caught three more redfish about the same size as the one in the picture.

I was getting bit up by gnats so I reeled in the ladyfish steak, packed up the rods and headed for home.  I took this last pic of the beautiful sunset.


My back was still killing me and I couldn't sit and wait for another bite.  Maybe next weekend I'll be more into fishing.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: