Saturday Afternoon On The Indian River

Saturday, July 13, 2013

This Saturday afternoon on the Indian River turned out to be a bust.

I originally planned of fishing Haulover Canal for redfish but as usual I got a late start and wound up fishing around Catfish Creek loop for sea trout and ladys.

The weather was wet as usual and somewhat windy but I picked up a cheap rod and reel outfit from WalMart and just had to try it out.

Since it was raining I decided not to bother fishing my Tarpon spot and instead headed out to a couple of ponds that are usually good for redfish.

I loaded the new outfit with 10# line and a Tsunami shrimp and as usual packed up three other spinning rods tipped with artificial baits.

When I got to the river, it was obvious that my new outfit wouldn't get much of a workout.

It was raining on and off and the wind made casting a light bait difficult, so I decided to start out with a gold Johnson The Original Sprite Spoon to locate some fish.

sea trout
The nice thing about bad weather is that you can have the place all to yourself and today for the most part, I was the only one fishing the area.

Blind casting several areas didn't produce any redfish but I did manage to hook and release several ladyfish in the 12" to 25" category and two under slot sea trout.

As it got close to dusk the wind stopped and the water on the Indian River and the adjacent marsh became glassy calm.






Throughout the afternoon I never spotted a redfish and at dusk on the way out of the refuge, I saw three reds pushing a wake down the marsh canal.

I didn't even bother pitching a spoon at them.  I was fished out for today.

Maybe tomorrow,

Till next time,

Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: