Another Rainy Sunday Afternoon In The Swamp

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Well it turned out to be another rainy Sunday afternoon in the swamp which is exactly what I was hoping for.

I wanted to go fishing this afternoon but I had to get things done around the house first.  After I finished up mowing the lawn and cleaning up the riding mower, a thunderstorm passed over the house and it started to rain in buckets.

My wife didn't want me to go out but I wanted another shot at the fish I lost yesterday.

I didn't get to the area until around 6:30 pm and the air temperature dropped down to 74 degrees.

There was almost no wind blowing and there were no people around Peacocks Pocket road.

The first spot I stopped at was perfectly flat and there was absolutely no surface activity, so I picket up the rod with a small weedless silver Johnson's spoon.


I started blind casting and promptly picked up a medium sized ladyfish that jumped all over the place before shaking off the spoon.

A few casts later and I landed a clone to the first fish.

In about 20 minutes I hooked five ladyfish and landed three, all of which I released.

I moved up to a small pond and shot a couple of casts to the bank where I spotted a swirl.

On the third cast, an oversize redfish nailed the silver spoon and headed up the marsh canal.

After the redfish made it's initial run I started pumping the fish back to where I hoped to land it but it took off in the opposite direction and headed directly to a brush pile at the edge of the road.

I gave it some slack hoping it would untangle itself but it broke off taking my silver spoon with it.

The rod I was using was a medium action WalMart special loaded with only 8# mono and no shock leader, so I don't really hate myself for losing the fish.  And, even with my heavier Power Pro loaded rod, it would have been challenging to land it through all the heavy brush alongside the road.

I moved up the road to another stretch that opened up into a large pond and started casting a gold Johnson's Sprite around a small grassy island.

On the third cast I hooked up to a nearly slot size sea trout that I released.

It started raining again and I missed a couple of strikes on the spoon so I decided to switch to a Chug Bug.

It took a lot of blind casting but I finally hooked up with the fish below as it got closer to dusk. 



It was chasing baitfish around a shallow area and hit the Chug Bug as soon as it hit the water.

Since it was getting dark and the bugs were acting like vampires, I decided to head for home when my wife called to tell me it was getting dark.

I took a couple of shots of the awesome sunset before it started raining again.


Hope you enjoy.

I have to make a mental reminder to pick up another weedless Johnson's silver spoon.

Till next time,

Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: