Fishing Thunderstorms

Friday, July 19, 2013

Fishing thunderstorms in the marsh isn't recommended for one's health and well being , but that's exactly what I did after I finally got home from work this evening.

I didn't get out to the water until around 7:15 pm which gave me about an hour's worth of fishing before dusk.

The air temperature dropped from the low 80s to around 76 degrees as I drove through Peacocks Pocket road and the fish were actively feeding on the surface pounding baitfish.

Since I didn't have much time, I headed directly to a small pond where I missed several fish last weekend.

Fishing thunderstorms is something I do on a regular basis as long as there is little chance of lightning in the immediate area and this evening it was definitely "touch and go".

The wind started picking up as I got close to where I wanted to fish and it started coming down in buckets.


Despite the rain, I picked up one of the three rods I had in my truck and started casting to some surface feeding fish near a grassy island.

The wind made working the Chug Bug challenging but I managed to hook and release a slot sea trout in relatively short order.

I switched to my "go to" beat up gold Johnson's Sprite spoon and started casting around the baitfish activity.  The spoon is easier to fish with in the wind and with 30# Power Pro, it was easier to feel a bite.

After several casts I missed a strike from something big.  The fish swirled around when the spoon hit the water and butted the spoon hard, but didn't get hooked up.

From the wake that it was pushing, it looked to be well over the 27" slot limit for redfish.  (Assuming it was a redfish)

It was getting darker as the wind started blowing harder and the heavens literally opened up making it all but impossible to do any serious fishing, so I decided to pack it in and head for the house.

I was mentally kicking myself for not driving home faster so I could get in some more fishing time.

Fishing thunderstorms is extremely productive if you hit it right and this evening could have been really great if I had more daylight to fish.

Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

Till then,

Tight Lines.


0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: