A Windy Sunday Afterrnoon In The Marsh

Sunday, July 14, 2013

It was a windy Sunday afternoon in the marsh but I decided to go fishing anyway.

It was raining on and off, windy, and the temperature was in the low 80s when I finally got off my butt and packed up the rods.

My wife doesn't like fishing in the wind so she decided to stay home and work on her stained glass project.

I left Odie and Elmo our wonder dogs at home even though they were begging for a fishing trip.

It was a little after 4:00 pm when I finally got to Peacocks Pocket road and the weather was bleak.

I saw some out of town visitors fishing at the first set of culverts coming into Peacocks Pocket road and only two other groups of fishermen all the time I was in the wildlife refuge.

A couple of hardy souls were fishing out in the river with a cooler and  several rods and a couple of other fishermen were fishing from the bank near the the small boat launch.


Today seemed like a great time to toss baits in areas that I seldom fish, so I started out fishing a gold Johnson's Sprite Spoon. 

The grass around Peacocks Pocket road is high right now and this makes for some difficult casting positions and when you do hook a fish, landing it can be pretty challenging.

I fished the shallow marsh canal, some deep holes, several small ponds and a couple of large ponds today with the spoon, a Chug Bug and a couple of paddle tail baits.

I got hits on the paddle tail baits but no fish.  The wind made it too difficult to feel a strike.

I got most of my fish on the gold Johnson's Sprite spoon and a couple on the Chug Bug when the wind died down near dusk.

When I switched over to the spoon, I started getting hits but more misses than I could count.

I started catching sea trout on the rod with Power Pro line so I stayed with a good thing.

I could feel hits with that outfit and I finally started landing sea tout. 



All but one of the sea trout were in the slot but I released all of the fish to fight another day.

In one area I started getting a lot of misses and finally figured out why.  Here is the reason.

All these ladyfish were all under 12 inches long and could barely eat the spoon I was using.

I finally hooked one ladyfish that looked around 25 inches long that finally shook off the spoon at the bank.  I was glad because I couldn't have landed it along the brushy bank anyway.

I spotted several pushes from redfish and spotted several reds tailing in a couple of ponds but they were well out of casting distance.

As I got tired of fighting the wind, I decided to head for home.

As I was leaving the refuge, the wind died down again and I spotted a nice red feeding along the bank. 

I stopped the truck and flipped a spoon ahead of where it was feeding and two casts later, the fish swirled around and butted the spoon however, it wasn't hooked.

I was tired of fighting the wind and was hungry so I called my wife and asked her to put on a couple of potatoes.

On the way out, I just had to take a pic of this dude.


Till next time,

Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: