Windy Fishing Conditions

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Windy fishing conditions prevailed today on the Indian River.

As I crossed the bridge to the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge it was evident that it would be a challenging day fishing.

Wind surfers and para-sailors were having a ball on the north side of the road and there were miniature whitecaps on the water.

 

I stopped to take a few pics of the action before heading to East Gator Creek road to pick up some bait.

After several tosses with the cast net, it was obvious that I was going to fish with artificial baits today.  The finger mullet that usually inhabit the area were gone, as were the mud minnows.

I decided to drive down to the most eastern entrance to Peacocks Pocket to start fishing.


I brought along my usual array of spinning rods tipped with different lures so I wasn't too concerned.

Although there was a lot of visitor traffic viewing the waterfowl and gators, Peacocks Pocket road was virtually devoid of fishermen while I was there.

I saw only two other fishermen who were using live finger mullet and cut baits. 

The only fish I saw caught during the time I was out there, was a hard head catfish.

I tried several of my "honey holes" but only had one hit  from a small sea trout for my efforts.

I used a Storm wildeye swim shad, a Chug Bug and a Johnson's Sprite gold spoon.

Because of the chop on the water, I fished primarily with the Chug Bug and the gold spoon but both lures weren't working out so well this afternoon.

The air temperature was in the high 60s and with the wind chill, it felt much colder so I didn't waste too much time tossing baits.

After about an hour and a half of windy fishing conditions, I decided that I had enough fun for one day.

 

  
I took some pics of the waterfowl before heading home.  Hope you enjoy them.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: