Looking For Some Topwater Action

Friday, April 12, 2013

I was looking forward to some topwater action all week so when I got home from work on Friday, I unpacked my gear, loaded up a couple of fishing rods and headed for Peacocks Pocket road.

I only had an hour or so to fish before dusk so I headed for a couple of spots I hoped held fish this time of the year.

The water in the marsh area is lower than normal for April and the areas where I stopped to fish didn't produce anything but a couple of taps on a paddle tail bait.

I decided not to waste any time in the area so I moved up the road to another spot that normally holds redfish during low water periods.


I spotted two nice reds and a couple of black drum cruising up the marsh canal but they weren't interested in either my Chug Bug or Creme paddletail bait.

The weather was in the 70s and the wind was mild.  The water temperatures are up and the baitfish are in the lagoons, so the bite should be on.  Unfortunately, in this area it was not.

As it got closer to dusk, I continued tossing a Chug Bug randomly and did manage to pick up a couple of ladyfish that did their best to commit suicide on the lure.

Although both fish put up a nice battle and jumped all over the place before being landed, I was more interested in catching a redfish.

Somewhat disappointed but happy to just enjoy the evening, I decided to call it a day and give it another try tomorrow.

This area of the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge has been under heavy fishing pressure lately and the fish have seen just about every artificial lure known to man. In addition to all the vehicle traffic they endure, especially on weekends, the fish have become harder to catch consistently.

If the weather holds up, I'll try to get some topwater action in tomorrow in another area.  I think Patillo Creek is open.

Till then, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: