Wading Catfish Creek

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Wading Catfish Creek wasn't on the agenda this afternoon but that turned out to be exactly what I would up doing.

Odie

My wife, Elmo and Odie wanted to go fishing so Karen and I packed up the rods, some frozen bait and headed for the closest water available.

Unlike yesterday, the weather this afternoon was pleasant and the wind was minimal.

Yesterday, as I was heading home from Peacocks Pocket road I stopped to talk to a fisherman who was also leaving the area.

He said he caught a ladyfish that he chopped up for bait and then landed a 40" redfish on the cut bait.

To prove his story, he whipped out his Iphone and showed me a picture of the fish.

This afternoon, I decided to try the area where he said he caught the big breeder redfish.  It was the same general area where a group of wade fishermen pulled in some nice fish this past January,.

Karen was ok with this idea so we pulled up to the spot, which happened to be in Catfish Creek and set out the rods.

I brought a couple of Ande surf rods with Okuma baitrunner reels which I baited up with half a blue crab.

On my other rod I used a fresh chunk of finger mullet.

Karen used her Cajun Thunder float with a frozen jumbo shrimp for bait.

We fished the spot where we hoped to hook up with one of those "bull redfish" but never got a bite on any of our baits in the two hours we were in the area.

I was fishing a topwater Heddon Zara Spook Jr. and a Johnson Sprite gold spoon to pass the time and eventually got into the water to wade fish.

I didn't see any gators in the river area so I spent a half an hour or so wade fishig with the Johnson Sprite gold spoon.

I missed a redfish which churned up a nice wake and finally hooked up to a slot size sea trout which I released.


Karen gave up fishing the river side and moved to the marsh canal where she missed a fish she thought was a red.

There was a lot of activity on the marsh side and virtually none where I was wading Catfish Creek.

After a while the gnats started sucking too much blood from us so we decided to head for home and dinner.

At least we didn't get skunked.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: