Fishing Patillo Creek During April

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Fishing Patillo Creek seemed to be a good idea after Friday's disappointing trip, so after finishing up with my chores this afternoon, my wife and I decided to take Odie and Elmo fishing.

We loaded up several rods along with our two dogs who were eager to go fishing.

Both Odie and Elmo love riding in the truck in their "cruising mode".

The air temperature was hovering around 80 degrees and there was a decent wind blowing.

Karen wanted to try the "gumball" area around Patillo Creek so I stopped by East Gator Creek road to net up some finger mullet for bait before heading towards the area.

The first cast landed a dozen or so six inch plus baits so I didn't waste much time.

When we got to Patillo Creek road I was hoping that Shiloh road was open but when we drove up to the barrier, it was closed.

I turned around and decided to fish the large marsh pond before the first canal.

When we pulled off the road, I promptly tossed out a couple of live finger mullet on my bait casting rods and a cut bait on another spinning rod.

As Karen tossed her Precision Tackle Cajun Thunder Float rig with a jumbo dead shrimp into the wind, we sat down and hoped for the best.

I pulled out my Chug Bug and started blind casting the topwater bait into the opposite canal hoping for a stray sea trout.

Last March was the last time I fished the area and I knew that the fish are sometimes in the area however, today they were not.

A couple of fish and game officers drove up and checked us for our licenses.  As we chatted, I asked when Shiloh Marsh Road would be open.   Both of them said they doubted that it would be open at all this year because of the condition that the road was in and the littering.

As we talked, they told me about the black drum that are sometimes in the canal.

 

When they left us, Karen and I decided to give the area another hours worth of fishing before moving on.  The wind was blowing just enough to make long casts into the pond a problem and I'm not normally a bait fisherman.  Something to do with patience!

We didn't get any bites, so we moved down the road to fish the deeper Patillo Creek canal.

In the canal, there was a little wind on the water and there seemed to be a light current running opposite the direction of the wind.

Between the two of us, we had five rods out with various baits and after another hour and a half of fishing without a bite, we both decided to pack it in.   

Fishing Patillo Creek evidently wasn't such a great idea after all.

Today, for whatever reason, no one seemed to be catching any fish in the area.

Oh well, at least Odie and Elmo had a good time.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: