December 29, 2011 Fishing Report

Thursday, December 29, 2011

The fishing for Dec 29th could according to the Almanac should have been pretty good, unfortunately the Almanac isn't gospel.

Today the air temperatures were in the low 60s and there was absolutely no wind on the Indian River.

The water in the marsh areas was dead flat which made for challenging conditions.

 The few people that were fishing around Catfish Creek loop were not catching anything, neither were the fishermen around Peacocks Pocket road.

My wife didn't want to go fishing with me this afternoon so I took Elmo our "wonder dog" along to give him some fresh air.

There was very little traffic this afternoon on the unimproved road and the people who were out were taking pictures of the wildlife.

To make a long story short, I fished several areas around Peacocks Pocket road with my favorite Bagley gold spoon, a "gold sardine" colored Heddon Saltwater Super Zara Spook Jr. -Black Shiner top water plug, a Creme Lures Spoiler Shad Swimbaits  and even dead shrimp without getting even a half hearted tug.

I spent the most time fishing "Bobcat Bay" where I missed two oversize redfish yesterday, but today they were either not in the area or they just weren't interested.

A FWC came by as I was getting ready to call it a day and we chatted a bit about the fishing.

 

Cody introduced himself and after a while continued down the road.

I took my time driving very slowly looking for signs of fish but the water was so calm that nothing except finger mullet were moving around.

As I drove up to the kayak launch, I stopped to talk to a fisherman that I occasionally see kayaking the area.

He reported that he caught some sea trout around the shallow flats near the creek to the Space Center and a couple of small reds on live shrimp under a cork.

He mentioned that the resident population of Black Drum were all over the place but that they were hard to target because of their erratic swimming patterns.

He spotted a lot of tailing redfish but they just weren't biting today. It could be the cold front or the lack of wind but whatever the reason, today's fishing report was dismal.

He mentioned that the fishing in the northern Indian River lagoon flats east of Scotsmoor wasn't that great right now and that there were a flock of fishing guides poling the Tiger Shoals area in the Mosquito Lagoon. This is a dead giveaway to where the big schools are located.

Tiger Shoals and the Whale Tail area in the southern Mosquito Lagoon are always good for redfish and sea trout.

I thanked him for the fishing report and headed for the house.

The temperature was 58 degrees as I left Peacocks Pocket road.

Tomorrow's another day, Tight Lines!

2 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!:

Anonymous said...

I went fishing at Playa Linda gate 8 and caught 4 blue fish between us. They were all just above the 12 inch to the fork of the tail mark. We caught them on Jan. 1st 2012 at about five p.m. when the tide was going out. I plan to be out tomorrow and catch some more. They were good filleted and bread crumb, semi-deep fried. Come out and catch you some. You'll catch 'em on frozen finger mullet chunks. Make sure you walk way out through the water to cast. Then come to shore and catch em. We used a 4 oz. weight that was too heavy and a 2 oz. weight that was just right. It all depends on the waves. We used two hooks on the line. Two of the fish came in on the same line. If you like blue come and and get some at Playa Linda.

John Neila said...

My buddy Lou and I used to fish #8 pretty regular but I haven't been there for at least a year. I plan to give it a try on Saturday.
I'll let you know how it shakes out.
John