Waiting For The Shrimp To Run

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Last night everyone was waiting for the shrimp to run on the two fishing piers underneath the Max Brewer causeway bridge except for the party goers at the pavilion.

The temperature was in the low 70s and there was almost no wind blowing as I walked down to the lower fishing pier.

There were fewer people on the pier than I expected and most were shrimping.

As you can see by the video I compiled below, everyone was waiting for the shrimp to run and only a few regulars were netting anything of consequence.




I walked past the restaurant, where everyone was having a great time dancing and partaking of adult alcoholic beverages and moved to the longer fishing pier to see how the sport shrimpers were doing over there.



For some unknown reason, these guys were doing much better. The guys I chatted with were catching a few blue crabs and everyone had at least a few jumbo shrimp in their buckets.

Although no one expected to limit out with a 5 gallon bucket this evening, everyone was having a good time enjoying the atmosphere.

I asked about why some of the shrimp lights the guys were using were on batteries and found out that there was a "lottery" system that the County operators were using on the electrical outlets.

There is a name drawing every evening from a hat, to make things fair for everyone.

Some of the regulars bring their own 12 volt batteries (see pic below) to save on the $ 6.00 nightly electrical usage fee and to grab the place they want on the pier railing.


Generators are no longer allowed on either of the piers, although I don't believe there is any law in writing saying you can't operate one on the sea walls, so everyone either plugs in or brings their own battery power.

I didn't see many sea trout this evening,. The guys said they were down there but they were deep and since I didn't bother bringing my fishing rod, I decided to head for the comfort of the hacienda.

Waiting for the shrimp to run just isn't for me, I seriously lack the patience!

Hope to get out and do some fishing tomorrow and later check out the shrimping.

Till then, Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: