Merry Christmas

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Wishing all of our followers a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

My wife and I didn't get a chance to do any fishing this weekend until late this afternoon.

Since time was a factor, we fished Peacocks Pocket road coming in from the easternmost entrance.

The temperature was in the high 70s and there was virtually no wind to speak of today. The marsh areas were dead calm and the river had only a slight ripple that totally dissipated as sunset approached.

Karen fished frozen jumbo shrimp under a pencil Cajun Thunder float and I started out fishing with my beat up Bagley gold hammered spoon.

We spent more time than we should have at the area in the video below, trying to get some tailing redfish to bite our baits.


I counted at least five oversize redfish tailing in an area where a flock of mud hens were feeding and causing a general commotion.

I've learned from experience that the ducks stir up the sediment in the shallow water causing the reds to start feeding on the crustaceans that are churned up.


But today, the fish were not cooperating at all.

Except for one small sea trout, nothing was hitting.

I had several followups with my gold spoon but at the last minute the fish veered away from my bait.

I switched to a root beer colored D.O.A. Shrimp, then to a D.O.A. CAL Jerkbait and finally to another heavier Johnson gold spoon, with absolutely no hits.

Karen wasn't having any better luck than I was.

I spoke briefly with a professional bass fisherman and his wife about how to fish the area we were in, but today all we did was fish. Not catch!

Frustrated, I suggested moving to another spot in the marsh area where we caught several 30 inch plus redfish in the past, but again we failed to score.

The alligators were out in force today. We counted over a dozen gators that were taking advantage of the beautiful weather either on the bank sunning themselves or cruising for a fresh duck dinner.


At our last spot, we spotted several fish moving up the marsh canal near just at dusk but the water was dead calm and nothing was hitting our baits.

When the mosquitoes began their blood thirsty activity, we decided to give up the fight for today and try it again tomorrow.

In any event, it was nice to get out and enjoy God's work.

Till next time, Tight Lines and a Merry Christmas!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: