Peacocks Pocket Pre 9/11 Fishing Trip

Sunday, September 11, 2011

In order to prevent the Koi in our front pond from developing hunger pains; my wife, Elmo (our wonder dog) and I decided to drive down to Dania, Fl. to pick up a couple hundred pounds of Koi food from a supplier friend of ours.



After walking his Koi ponds I just couldn't resist picking up a few juvenile show Koi and a small albino Plecostomus for our pond.

On the way back, we drove by Boynton Inlet to see if any of the locals were catching anything, particularly Snook.

Surprisingly, there weren't many fishermen on the piers and those who were fishing didn't seem to be catching much.

Since we didn't get back until late in the afternoon, I didn't get out until about 6:30 p.m. for my Peacocks Pocket pre 9/11 Fishing Trip.

I hurriedly packed a couple of rods and headed for the easternmost entrance to Peacocks Pocket.

The water at Peacocks Pocket kayak launch was like glass and except for some alligators, feeding herons and a few small pods of finger mullet, there was very little surface activity.

Because of the glass like conditions, I really didn't expect to catch any fish but I decided to try a top water Mirror Lure and a Gold 3/8 oz. Nemire Spoon Buzzer Lure just for the hell of it.

My first stop was at the kayak launch area where I spotted this gator snapping up some type of shore bird that was feeding in the shallows.

It's not a very good photograph but I did manage to capture some action. The other birds in the flock are just out of the picture.

After about a dozen casts with only one follow, I moved up the road to the double culverts and started casting on the Indian River side of the road.



A few casts later netted me a ladyfish that flipped off the Nemire Spoon. Two more casts after that and I missed a sea trout.

Thinking that something was wrong, I checked the lure only to discover that the hooks coming right out of the package were as dull as chopsticks.

I sharpened the single hook up as best I could and started working the lure on the surface. It was a lot like bass fishing in the St. Johns river around the lily pads.

I had three more hits and one hookup with a sea trout that was under size. It wasn't much larger than the lure so I didn't bother with any pics.

I fan cast several other areas and as the sun was going down I switched to the Mirror Lure top water plug. Walking the dog with a top water is usually better just before sunset.



I caught two more under sized trout on the plug and had a couple of followups that hit but missed the treble hooks.

Just before sunset, I saw a nice over size Redfish waking down the marsh canal from a small pond where it was feeding. I made a cast past where I thought it was heading and was rewarded with the fish batting the top water bait out of the water. Again, I missed a hookup.

On the way out I talked to two other fishermen who were fishing live finger mullet on the bottom. Both groups hadn't had a bite all day so I didn't feel so bad about not catching a redfish today.

I took these pics of the beautiful sunset and then decided to leave and walk across the bridge to get in some badly needed aerobic exercise before heading home.

The band was jamming at the restaurant but there weren't many people fishing on the big pier.



My Peacocks Pocket pre 9/11 fishing trip wasn't exactly a blockbuster event, but it was still a beautiful evening on the Indain River Lagoon as you can see by these pics.




Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: