Fishing the Marsh Canals

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Fishing the marsh canals in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge is an "iffy" situation at best.

There are times when you can load up on sea trout, black drum and redfish. At other times you can fish hard all day long and can't buy a bite.

Late this afternoon my wife, Elmo and I headed for the "swamp" hoping to grab one of the over sized redfish that are now prowling the northern shallows of the Indian River and Mosquito Lagoon.

I netted a few medium sized finger mullet for bait and headed for a couple of areas where I spotted some reds in the shallows last week.

Karen skewered a mullet and pitched it out to a likely spot. I decided on a top water plug and started "walking the dog" hoping for some top water action.

The Heddon Zara Spook Jr. I was using immediately attracted a sea trout in the 15" class.

I released it at the bank and continued fishing the plug while my wife patiently waited for a redfish to hit her mullet.

In about an hour of fishing, I managed to attract at least two dozen strikes on the bait.

Most of the fish were undersize sea trout and medium to large ladyfish that acted like small tarpon when hooked.

Karen missed a nice redfish that ate her finger mullet off the hook.

She re-baited and moved slightly up the road to continue fishing. I asked her if she wanted to move on to another spot but she was happy where we were, so I continued walking up the road fishing my top water plug.

I hooked a couple more ladyfish and missed two redfish in the 34" to 36" category that were cruising the bank feeding on small finger mullet.

Once they spook you might as well give up fishing the area.

Meanwhile, Karen watched a fish chase her finger mullet around the shallow canal but it never did bite.

It was getting on towards dusk and the bugs were starting to eat on us so we decided to call it an evening.

Fishing the marsh canals this evening was not a productive as I had hoped but I wouldn't give up the hectic top water action I experienced this afternoon for anything.

Till next time, Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: